The “Sidonian” leaves Glasgow. (Thanks to Callum Stuart for the clipping.)
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick provides a list of names and ages of Scottish immigrants who were passengers arriving in St. John, New Brunswick by the Sidonian on May 14, 1874, ending the log with this news item that tells what happened next:
“16 May 1874 – Woodstock, N.B., 15th May -The train with the Scottish immigrants arrived here at half past 4 this afternoon, under the charge of Mr. STEWART. They are now being transferred to the steamer “Ida Whittier”, Capt. Rideout, which leaves at 8 p.m. They will arrive opposite Mr. BEVERIDGE’s at Andover (Victoria Co.) tomorrow forenoon and proceed at once to their future homes, up the Tobique River some seven miles where the settlement commences and extends to New Stonehaven. ”
About 210 colonists sailed April 30-May 14, 1874, arriving in Andover, New Brunswick about May 16, 1874.
Thirteen-year-old William Cumming tells the story of the voyage across the Atlantic and up the St. John River to Upper Kintore here.
At the 75th anniversary of the Upper Kintore Church on September 1, 1968, it was noted in the church bulletin: “Miss Elsie Innes is the last living survivor, who came over from Scotland in May, 1874 on S. S. Sidonian, with a passenger list of 219, who settled in Upper Kintore, Bon Accord and S. Tilley. She is now 95 years of age, and resides in a Rest Home, Portland, Oregon.”
Published in the Presque Isle, Maine newspaper, Star Herald, Feb. 13, 1919 and is signed at the end of the article by W. L. Duncan
Many years ago, to be exact, in 1873, a Scotch sea captain whose ship plied between Scotland and St. John, on occasion of a voyage when he had some time on his hands in St. John, took a run up the river. Noting the big domain of government wild land he saw on the trip, he conceived the idea of bringing a colony of his neighbors in Old Kincardine across, and settling them in New Brunswick.
Going back home he succeeded in recruiting a colony, secured a grant of land for a settlement, and the movement resulted in transplanting about 400 hardy Scotch people, and their settlement in what is known as the Scotch Colony, a place about 30 miles due east of Presque Isle. Continue reading
Star Herald, Sept. 15, 1932, Washburn, Maine news
Here is a report printed in the Presque Isle, Maine newspaper.
Rev. Gordon Campbell Pringle
The fortieth anniversary of Rev. Gordon Pringle’s pastorate at Kincardine colony Presbyterian church, New Brunswick, was observed on Sunday, Sept. 11, at Melville church in the Colony. The Auld Kirk was well filled by Scotch folks from both sides of the line, most of them being former settlers from the Colony. The services were very impressively managed by a number of the minister members of the Presbyterians of Woodstock, N. B., assisted by Rev. Dr. Archibald of Grand Falls. Like Rev. Gordon Pringle himself, most of these men came from the land of the heather. Mr. Pringle was graduated from Edinburgh University (an honor man) in 1891. The next year he came over to Canada and found Kincardine in need of a minister at that time. Needless to say his life of service has shown how well he responded to that need. Mr. Pringle is a son of the Manse, Continue reading
Annie (McBeath) Ellis brought this lovely piece from Scotland in 1873.
The serving dish was part of the display at the Manse during Scotch Fest140 on August 24, 2013.
Annie Hastings (McBeath) Ellis (1839-1919), bakery worker in Scotland, was a passenger on Castalia along with her husband, Andrew Ellis, joiner, and son John.
Right background is a spoon dish from the Morton homestead in West Branch, late 1800’s.
Rev. Gordon Campbell Pringle (1865 – 1952) arrived in Canada on May 21, 1892. He was ordained Sept. 7, 1892, in the Old Calvin Presbyterian Church, Saint John, New Brunswick. He was inducted as minister in Kincardine in the Scotch Colony in 1896. He received his Doctor of Divinity in 1933. He served the Scotch colony 1896-1952.
“Beloved by a loyal people whom he served for over 56 years”
The shaving mug was part of the display at the former Manse on August 24, 2013 during Scotch Fest140.